Drive northwest until we reach the highest point on this trip (3.000 mts). At this point, we switch to our mountain bikes and start the descend.
We’ll pass the quaint village of Nono. Watch the vegetation change from páramo to cloud forest to low montane forest as you whiz down the mountain until reaching the small bearding paradise of Tandayapa. Keep one eye on the road and the other toward the sky: there’s a good chance to see parrots, hummingbirds, toucans and caciques.
The bike tour concludes with a visit to one of the most famous attractions in Mindo, the butterfly farm where you will find hundreds of different species of native butterflies.
Trip Rating: Easy
Altitudes: 3000-1800m (10000-6000 ft)
- Professional bilingual guide
- Transportation from/to Quito
- Mountain bike
- Personal expenses
- Fee entrances
- Anything not specified above
- 06:45 Leave from Plaza Foch for transfer to Nono
- 09:00 Begin biking at Nono
- 10:30 First break in Tandayapa
- 11:00 Start the 10km ascent
- 13:00 Second break in Bellavista ($2 entrance fee), and birdwatching
- 14:30 Arrive at Mindo and have lunch
- 15:30 Visit the butterfly farm ($5)
- 16:30 Return to Quito
- 18:30 Arrive at Plaza Foch (initial point)
(Note: All times are approximate, except starting time)