Cotopaxi National Park tour is an exciting day tour that begins with spectacular views of the unique Andean landscape in the “Avenue of the Volcanoes”.
We recommend acclimatizing at least two days around 3,000m.
Drive through páramo landscape to highest point. Enjoy stunning view of 8 different volcanoes. The bike adventure on the world’s highest active volcano begins. Bike on dirt roads through volcanic ash and páramo landscape to Inca ruin at 3.700 m Packed lunch while keeping an eye towards the sky – you might see a condor! In the afternoon bike on dirt roads and single track down from Lake Limpiopungo through pine forest.
Trip Rating: Moderate
Altitudes: 4500 -3200 m. (15000-10600 ft).
- Professional bilingual guide
- 1 lunch box
- Transportation from/to Quito
- Mountain bike
- Personal expenses
- Anything not specified above
- 06:45 Leave from Quito or Baños
- 09:00 Enter Cotopaxi National Park.
- 09:30 Visit the museum and get information on the area, volcanos, animals, etc.
- 10:45 Arrive at the parking lot at 4,500m (14763 feet), and begin hiking up to “Jose Rivas” refuge.
- 11:30 Reach refuge at 4,810m (15780 feet). Rest, enjoy the view…
- 12:00 Hike to the glaciers (decision of the guide depending on weather conditions) at 5,000m (16404 feet) and after that return to the parking lot. Drive to departure point.
- 14:00 Check equipment and bikes as well as short briefing – begin descent on mountain bike.
- 14:45 Arrive at Laguna Limpiopungo via bike. After short rest depart from the Cotopaxi National Park.
- 15:30 Lunch
- 17:30 Arrive at Hosteria PapaGayo for chocolate cake and hot coffee / tea (you have the option to spend the night in Hosteria PapaGayo.
- 19:00 Return to Quito or Baños.
(Note: All times are approximate, except starting time)
* Cotopaxi has its own micro-climate and the weather in the area is unpredictable, so please be prepared with warm clothes.
The tour will take place in any weather.